Posts on VIP Mom Life may contain affiliate links. Please see Disclosure, Disclaimer, and Privacy for more information.
Before I started couponing I thought Walgreens and CVS were over priced convenient stores. Once I learned how to coupon I realized you get really good deals. I started of my couponing experience at Walgreens but quickly fell in love in CVS. Both stores have their pros and cons obviously. I personally do all my convenient store shopping at CVS you rarely see me shop at Walgreens.
What are Extra Care Bucks (EBCs)?
- ECB's print out at the end of your receipt when you purchase a certain item. You can then use as many ECB's as you like in your next purchase.
- ECB are basically money off your next purchase at CVS. These are free money: Don’t let them expire!
- Sometimes you need to purchase a certain number to get the ECB's and there usually is a limit per card
- The ECB deals can be found in CVS's weekly ad.
- Sometimes you'll find some awesome deals with ECB's, but sometimes you can get an item for FREE or even MAKE MONEY just for buying that item.
- Remember that ECB's print out at the END OF YOUR RECEIPT so make sure you don't throw your receipt away!
A Few More Words on ECB's
- If you have to spend a certain amount of money in order to get the ECB's, the total is calculated BEFORE you use manufacturer's coupons.
- You can NOT get back change when you use ECB's.
- ECB's typically expire 4 weeks from the date they are printed.
- You will earn ECB's just by using your card. A certain percentage of the total amount you've spent at CVS will be calculated and awarded to you each quarter of the year.Those ECB's will be printed out on your receipt.
- ECB's are linked to your CVS card and non-transferrable. This means you NEED to use your CVS card in order to use your ECB's. You cannot transfer ECB's to another card.
- ECB's will not be replaced if lost.
- There is no limit to how many ECB's you can use in a single transaction!
- If there is an ECB deal but they are out of stock, get a rain check! I LOVE CVS rain checks for a few reasons...mainly because they do NOT expire and because you will get any ECB's you should have been awarded!
- Every week, new items earn ECB. Look in your Sunday ad and you’ll see these advertised. CVS also runs monthly ECB deals
More Tips for Shopping at CVS
- There is a "coupon center machine" at every store. Usually they are located near the front of the store by the registers. When you scan your CVS card at the machine, it will print out money saving STORE coupons that you can combine with your manufacturer coupons!
- If you sign up for their emails, CVS will occasionally send store coupons to your email. If you hand over this type of coupon FIRST BEFORE ANY OTHER COUPONS, the qualifying purchase would be your pre manufacturer coupon total!
- You can use one manufacturer's coupon and one store coupon on one item. Be sure to check the bottom of your receipt each time; sometimes it prints out random coupons there, too.
- Realize that you can use a CVS coupon and a manufacturer’s coupon on the same item. At CVS, whenever you can stack coupons on an extra-buck earning item, you have a chance to get stuff for free — or, sometimes, even better than free.
- If you continue to roll your ECB by using them to buy more ECB-earning items — especially if you also use coupons — you end up paying very little out of pocket but continuing to get more items each visit.
- CVS very often runs ECB deals on staples — toothpaste, shampoo — that also tend to have associated coupons. Once you get started on the rolling game, you do not need to ever pay real money for these types of items again.
Review CVS's Store Coupon Policy before you get started!